What’s the best gift for a medical student or resident (or any really busy person)?
Seriously, anything that frees up time for them is the best present you can give them. If it supports their health or decreases stress, it’s even better!
Here are my top ten choices for best presents for medical students and residents – or any really busy person:
- A service or person to help clean their home. Once a month? Once a week? Any time they don’t have to vacuum or clean the bathrooms is a true gift.
- An Instapot. I’ve long been a fan of pressure cookers, but the Instapot takes it to the next level. This is my new favorite kitchen tool and it’s high on my list because it both saves time and increases healthy food consumption!
- A subscription to Headspace. This might seem counter-intuitive since it adds a 10 minute task to their day… but there are data (and lots of testimony) that a daily mediation practice “expands time” by decreasing stress.
- If they live close enough to walk or bike to school/work, think about something that might help them combine that commute with getting some exercise. How old is their bicycle? How about panniers to store gear on a bike? Would a great backpack help if they are likely to walk? How about a gift certificate to a bicycle shop?
- A gift certificate for Whole Foods or any place near them that has good, healthy prepared food.
- Cookbooks with quick but healthy recipes like Thug Kitchen or Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything Fast.
- A Roomba vacuum cleaner. Plus, they may go viral with a cat on a Roomba video if they have a feline roommate.
- A gift certificate to have their car washed and vacuumed every few months.
- If they are a coffee drinker who spends time stopping at Starbucks, think about a really good coffee maker. I prefer Nespresso because the pods are recyclable (and the coffee is delicious).
- Your time. Can you cook some meals once a month and put them in their freezer?. Do laundry? Bake cookies and mail them? Get their car washed? Make an elaborate certificate with something you could do for them and wrap it as a present.